Re: New cdrwtool (trying to format too many blocks)
  • From: Peter Osterlund <petero2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:39:52 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Petr Nejedly wrote:

> Peter Osterlund wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Sergiy Kudryk wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Can anybody help ?
> > >
> > > I can't successfully write to CDRW disc a large file (> 50 MB) - too
> > > many i/o errors.
> > >
> > > How i can decrease writing speed of pktcdvd layer ?
> >
> > You have to edit the source code. In the pkt_open_write function, there is
> > a call to pkt_adjust_speed. Change the "16" to the speed you want to use.
> >
> > > I have CDRW drive with 4X write speed and when i start to copy big file
> > > (500 Mbytes) to /mnt/cdrw using mc system shows writing speed about 9
> > > MB/s (should be no more then 600 KB/s).
> >
> > Maybe if the writes start to fail, they can fail with a speed faster than
> > 600Kb/s.
>
> No, the truth is that the data is "copied" to buffer cache and that
> does the writing in the background.

Yes I know that, but I thought the phrase "system shows writing speed ..."
was referring to information from "vmstat" or equivalent, which shows how
much data goes to the device. If the 9Mb/s value came from mc, I agree the
information is not very useful because of the caching.

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@xxxxxxxxx
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340