[opensuse] openSUSE supports FSFE's new "Public Money, Public Code" Campaign
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:05:51 +0200
Hi all,

openSUSE rarely involves itself in political or broad advocacy
campaigns, but the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) have today
launched a campaign which the openSUSE Board collectively feel very
passionately about, and so we have pledged our support to their
"Public Money, Public Code" campaign.

The premise is nice & simple, that software developed and purchased
using tax payers money should be "Public Code", as in covered under an
Open Source license.

If such a premise were to become policy of governments within Europe,
this would bring clear benefits not only in the technical terms of
accelerating the pace of innovation & simplifying discovery of
security problems, but also in the financial aspect of saving
taxpayers money.

If you feel the same way I'd like to encourage you to sign the open letter at
https://publiccode.eu

Anything you can do to help spread the word and encourage support for
this campaign would be greatly appreciated.

The website also serves as a good source of additional information;
There is also this press release:
https://fsfe.org/news/2017/news-20170913-01
Spiegel Online also have an article (German only):
http://spon.de/ae3Rs
The campaign was also mentioned at oSC 17 earlier this year:
https://youtu.be/jMdYxmjq0Vk?t=31m20s

Thanks,

Richard Brown
openSUSE Chairman