Re: [opensuse] Steam Fails to Launch
On 19.02.2017 03:16, Bryon Adams wrote:
On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 22:07 -0500, Bryon Adams wrote:
On 2017-02-16 21:13, Bryon Adams wrote:
On February 16, 2017 5:18:30 PM EST, Aaron Digulla <digulla@xxxxxxx
m>
wrote:

Yes, I checked.

Next step: Check the files. Run rpm --verify -v on both packages.
That
should look like this:

rpm --verify -v libopenssl1_0_0-32bit
......... /lib/engines
......... /lib/engines/libgost.so
......... /lib/engines/libpadlock.so
......... /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
......... /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0

(i.e. only dots in the first column). If you see any letters
instead
of
dots, then a file is damaged.

If that looks OK, rename $HOME/.steam to $HOME/.steam.bak and try
start steam again. The SuSE package is just a small wrapper which
installs the real steam package from Valve. Steam should check
its own
files and fix them when they are broken, though.

Regards,
I ended up reinstalling openSUSE on my laptop and installed steam
first. Ran great until after I started reinstalling some other
packages I wanted. Unfortunately I couldn't restore it back trying
use snapper, though I've never used it before and it didn't work
that
time it looks really cool.

Currently wiping it again so I can leave the laptop vanilla
openSUSE
with Steam for a bit before installing things one at a time.

I did try wiping the ~/.steam and ~/.local/share/steam directories
and
running steam --refresh to reload it but still got that segfault.
Well, Steam is running right now. I'll keep an eye on things and
follow
up with what breaks it if I can figure it out.

I created a snapshot using snapper so hopefully if I break it I can
just
roll back and try again.

So, I got Steam to fail again but was able to recover it. Tested a bit
and it seems to be consistent.

I changed my $PATH variable in .bashrc to:

export
PATH="/home/bryon/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/ga
mes:/sbin:/usr/sbin"

/sbin and /usr/sbin are very unusual for user accounts since those
folders contain stuff for root.
I'd suggest to create links in $HOME/bin for the few tools that you need.

Try this command to launch steam:

PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11" steam

That will pass a special PATH to just this process, nothing else will be
affected.
You can try to add more folders from your PATH to see when it breaks.

To see what the script does, try:

PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11" bash -x steam

Also check whether the command executes the steam script that you expect:

type steam
which steam

Regards,

http://blog.pdark.de/