Re: [opensuse] DSL always on possible?
On 01/09/2015 08:50 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2015-01-09 14:12, James Knott wrote:
On 01/09/2015 08:01 AM, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
Is there a recommended way to start DSL without any network request,
so that it's nearly always on? In openSUSE documentation I only
found two alternatives: always-on and manually. Both are not ideal.
(I know, that the provider breaks the connection every 24 hours. The
router should reconnect then.)
It sounds like you will have to generate traffic occasionally. If the
ISP is killing the connection, there's nothing else that will work. I'd
say a ping every hour or so should do the trick. That won't cost much
performance.
It should be possible to configure the network for always on, and
reconnect automatically when it does, instantly. Routers do.

Maybe IDLETIME 0 or -1, just a very wild guess.

Where is the disconnect occurring? At the server or ADSL modem? If the
ISP shuts down the connection to the modem. the server might not know
about it.

Another keep alive might be to do DHCP requests. That's simple enough
to do. The dhcpcd -l option can be used to set a lease time independent
of the server. So, if set to 3600 seconds, it would make a request
every hour.