Re: [opensuse] About XFS size in 32/64 bit Linux
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 23:17:45 +0100
On Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2015 15:52:17 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

I'm preparing an XFS partitioned 2TB hard disk in an external enclosure,
using openSUSE 13.1 64 bit, but I intend to use it under 13.1 32 bit.

Should I expect problems?

I read about an issue regarding xfs and 32 bit vs 64 bit on big
partitions, but I'm unsure about what it affects this "early" in the
morning :-)

There's an issue of 64 bit inodes on big filesystems, older 32bit userspace,
and certain tools. Here's my story:

XFS is a fairly good filesystem, and will support you nicely even if desaster
strikes due to matured recovery tools.

What I have read recently is about a weird issue with layout on external
enclosures, regarding the sector size of 512/4096. Apparently when
accesing via usb the bridge chipset can lie to the kernel or mkfs.xfs so
that it thinks that the disk has 512 byte sectors (this does not affect
sector start alignment on 1 MB, it's a different issue).

Thus, to avoid this possible issue, I want to format the disk using SATA
directly, which means using my 64 bit desktop machine, not the older 32
bit machine which doesn't have sata, where the disk is going to be used
mostly.

I do this all the time with XFS and 4 TB drives and all is doing fine.

Cheers,
Pete