Re: [opensuse] pppoe in oS 13.2, was: dsl modem in openSUSE 13.2
Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> írta:
В Thu, 1 Jan 2015 16:59:08 +0100 (CET)
Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Andrei Borzenkov írta:
В Thu, 01 Jan 2015 16:01:52 +0100
jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Le 01/01/2015 15:44, Istvan Gabor a écrit :
jdd írta:
Le 01/01/2015 13:53, Istvan Gabor a écrit :

How can I set my DSL modem and providers?

it waas only for usb/serial modems, not the usual box, are there
still some on the wild?

I don't understand what this means.

these options where to configure dsl modems directly connected to the
computer through USB. Nowaday (at least in France) everybody uses
"boxes" linked through etherneet and that do not need any openSUSE config

This option was to setup PPPoE client. This works over LAN in bridged
mode; USB DSL modems simply emulate Ethernet interface and bridge
everything from WAN to it.

The question is how I can configure my network connection (which uses
a DSL bridge/modem).

It looks like wicked may support PPPoE; but there is no documentation
how to set it up, the only source of information is interface
configuration schema where pppoe is mentioned.

This looks like genuine regression. I wonder, what happens if there is
existing configuration on update?

Yes, it is PPPoE. How can I set it up?

I do not know how to setup it with wicked, sorry. I suggest you open
bug report that this configuration was possible with 13.1 and becomes
seemingly impossible with 13.2.

You may try NetworkManager as workaround. In the worst case setup
rp-pppoe manually ...

OK, I tried rp-pppoe manually (downloaded on another installation).
Installation and setup was OK, it connect but can't ping anything. Seems that
the nameserver is not configured correctly. It should get the nameserver
address from the provider (as oS 12.2 does it correctly) but is doesn't. Even
if I can solve this nameserver issue how I make it work with
kinterent/qinternet?

In the meantime I found others have the same problem:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502199-UPGRADING-REMOVES-PPPOE-(13-1-gt-13-2)

http://forum.linuxdesh.org/thread-1982.html

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/503215-Cannot-configure-PPPOE-DSL-connection-with-13-2

Also seems to read that DSL setup is problematic even with NetworkManager too
in 13.2

This is not a minor issue. Removing such an option (been there for more than a
decade) and it is not worth mentioning in the release notes?!

It is so UNPROFESSIONAL.

Istvan