Re: [opensuse] Persistence of /media across reboots.
2013. június 5. 14:27 napon Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> írta:

On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 06:33 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

I don't have a 12.1 system to hand but my memory of it is that there is
a config file and appropriate script to populate /media and others tmpfs
(or not) on boot.

boot.localfs ensures that if /media does not exist, it is mounted as a
tmpfs file system. When that happens relative to udev rules being
executed at boot or mounting from /etc/fstab is very unclear. I think
this is what results in the differences between the systems.

Now that's where it becomes interesting and that's where one needs to do
an absolute side-by-side comparison to see how the config structure
differs. I suspect that because you aren't/weren't ware of tmpfiles.d
that the config there may differ between machines.

tmpfiles.d and/or tmpdirs.s don't seem to be involved in /media. That is
in boot.localfs. IMO it seems sloppy to have a system that ensures the
existence of various files and dirs and then not use it and instead make
a few directories elsewhere. It sure messes up any attempt at
serialization. If boot.localfs has not yet created /media, I would not
want some other step to try to place something into it.

What is unclear to me is the order all these things happen on boot:

udev rules
tmpfiles.d and tmpdirs.d
boot.localfs
/etc/fstab

And are they guaranteed to complete before the next starts?

This is a very interesting topic.
I prefer the pre 12.x SUSE way, when /media directory is only a subdirectory of
the normal root
ext3 (or whatever) filesystem, and is static (created files or directories are
not removed at boot).

I have one openSUSE 12.1 system, and I would like to set up the old /media
behavior on it.
Is it doable? How?

Thanks,

Istvan