Re: [opensuse] XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:50:08 +0200
On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 11:11 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I am using XFS on a 12.1 system. The system records jpeg data to large
files in real time. We have used XFS for this for a while since it has
as a listed feature that it is well suited to writing streaming media
data. We have used this for quite a while on openSUSE 11.2.

We have developed a new version of this system that collects more
data. What I have found is that the jpeg data is typically written at
the speed I expect. Every once in a while, the write takes 100x
longer. Instead of the expected 80 msecs or so to do the compress and
write, it takes, say, 4 or 5 seconds.

This may not be of much use to you, but we have a cctv system that also
writes individual jpegs. They're only 640x480, but from a quick glance
at the timing, writing one jpeg takes an average of 0.2ms (elapse).
Very occasional jumps to maybe 20ms. The recording system is running
12.2 on a 2.8GHz Celeron with 1.5Gb RAM. I guess your jpegs are much
bigger - otherwise it's a pretty significant difference. (oh, and
we're using JFS, not XFS).

The disk system seems to maintain around 40-50M/sec sustained writes.
Our images should be utilizing around 50% of that. I am trying this on
some SSD disks with good old ext4. Just to have a point of comparison.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20