Re: [opensuse] IPv6 in Firefox: does it work? The saga continues...
On 2013-06-04 03:07, James Knott wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
I just checked the printer again (the address on my initial post). It is an HP
CP1515n. The IPv6
config has only on/off, I can not choose the address at all. It is the link
local address or
nothing. I have checked both the LCD menu on the printer, and its web page.
IPv4 is configurable,
IPv6 is not.

So, IPv6 support is very limited even with hardware that says it has IPv6
support.

Perhaps it's expecting an address via RADVD or DHCP6

I don't mean that.

Yes, the printer can get an automatic IP, but then I would not know where it is. Nevertheless, its configuration panel for IPv6 is not complete, compared to IPv4. On 4 I can adjust the name, IP, mask, gateway... For 6, nothing.

I'm not sure why you'd need that. I use regular DNS and it works fine. I use a
DNS with an IPv6
address, but any DNS should be able to provide both IPv4 A records and IPv6
AAAA records.

No, I don't what that is for, either. Maybe autconf related.

It's for providing IP addresses for host names to other systems, without using
a dedictated DNS. A
computer will do a multicast other computers on a network, asking who has the
IP address for a host
name, in a manner similar to how an arp request obtains the MAC address for a
given IP address. I
have never used MDNS, as I've used either a DNS server or hosts file.

Ok... that I can understand.

But see, from the log:

SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT <-- incoming packet, on my computer.
IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=
SRC=fc00:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:7fff <-- “FROM” my computer.
DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00fb <-- “TO” multicast.
LEN=188 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=148

How come, the packet is traveling backwards? Ah, maybe the router sends it to everybody, it is a multicast, so I get it back.

(reading)

Look, if you send a "SIGUSR1" to the avahi-daemon PID, it dumps to syslog its
table :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from oS 12.3 "Dartmouth" GM (rescate 1))