Re: [opensuse] Has anyone ever used the autossh daemon?
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greg Freemyer wrote:

===
Details for myself or others that want to do this:

autossh is designed to let you setup a reverse tunnel. That way I
can have a machine behind a NAT firewall expose ssh by tunneling it
through a server on the internet.

You've probably thought of this already, but you could also achieve
thiswith a simple DNAT rule on the firewall.

This is at my parents 2nd house in the mountains. The ISP seems to
firewall off the inbound ports altogether so autossh seems like a
better approach given that I do have a place to tunnel thru.

Okay, I see. ISTR there is a way to do this with 'plain' ssh? Something
about the -R option? Try googling "ssh tunnel reverse".

You are correct, but ssh by itself is not reliable. If it dies and
your box is remote, you have to go make a site visit. No fun if it is
a 2-hour drive.

Being a top notch admin like you are, you might write a monitor
application to invoke ssh with the -R option and make sure it stayed
up. Being a man who likes simple names, you might call the wrapper
autossh.

And then because you are a really competent guy, you'd write a init
script to invoke autossh during boot and make that init script
controllable via the YaST System Level editor.

All the above is what is in the autossh package. My trouble is that
autossh itself is lightly documented and the config file for the init
script seems to have no external documentation at all and I can't find
evidence of anyone using it via google searches.

Greg