Re: [opensuse] Has anyone ever used the autossh daemon?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 16:51:27 +0200
Greg Freemyer wrote:

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greg Freemyer wrote:

===
Details for myself or others that want to do this:

autossh is designed to let you setup a reverse tunnel. That way I
can have a machine behind a NAT firewall expose ssh by tunneling it
through a server on the internet.

You've probably thought of this already, but you could also achieve
thiswith a simple DNAT rule on the firewall.

This is at my parents 2nd house in the mountains. The ISP seems to
firewall off the inbound ports altogether so autossh seems like a
better approach given that I do have a place to tunnel thru.

Okay, I see. ISTR there is a way to do this with 'plain' ssh? Something
about the -R option? Try googling "ssh tunnel reverse".

I haven't found any documentation about /etc/sysconfig/autossh except
what's in the file. I feel like I'm the first user :(

I've never heard of it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.9°C)