Re: [opensuse] Re: renaming a network dev w/udevadm from command line?
В Mon, 03 Jun 2013 02:02:13 -0700
Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
� Mon, 03 Jun 2013 00:16:52 -0700
Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> �����:

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
Current upstream udev does not attempt to work around "need to be
moved out of the way" so this will not work reliably. Use name space
that does not clash with internal kernel one, like "netXXX". That is
guaranteed to work.
How does udev rename them? Can't I invoke the method that udev uses to
rename them when it works or are you saying some new udev doesn't have
this?

ioctl(sk, SIOCSIFNAME, &ifr);

That is exactly what "ip link set name" does.

I was under the understanding that we were not going to have to rename our
interfaces.

How do I get the consistent and same names I had before?

You gave zero information about openSUSE version you are running, which
makes it rather hard to even guess the answer.
----
Hmmm... ip link set name seems to work to rename an interface.

Is that new?

No.

I am somewhere beyond 12.3 with updates from factory installed.

12.3 + updates still includes old logic for interface renaming which
tries to work around races with kernel. It disappeared in 12.3
(probably, unintentionally, simply because it was removed upstream) and
was added back with 12.3 update.

Factory likely dropped it completely. This may become an issue on
update ...

I'm still working on getting a stable boot back since I left 12.1...*sigh*.
(not that doing so, is the only thing on my plate... -- before yesterday my
last reboot was 21 days ago...so I'm not real focused on it -- too many other
things to do...