Re: [opensuse] named reverse zone
lynn said the following on 06/01/2013 06:25 PM:
On Sat, 2013-06-01 at 12:49 +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Sat, 01 Jun 2013 10:42:37 +0200
lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

12.3 bind with the BIND9_DLZ plugin
Quick question, if there are any bind gurus around. What reverse zone
should I add for a 192.168.x.y address? I've added:
168.192.in-addr.arpa
to hold the PTR's
but nada. . .

According to your example

x.192.168.in-addr.arpa

and "y" should be PTR record in this zone.

Hi
In my example, that would make the PTR 22 yes? So the zone to add is:
1.192.168.in-addr.arpa? In that case, nsupdate would be sending from
168.192.1.22 ????

Anyway, still no go. . . What I can't understand is why named can't just
store the reverse record in what I already have: 168.192.in-addr.arpa

The absolutely correct answer is that you *COULD*.
But as with so many things, just because you could doesn't mean you should.

And
22 PTR
wouldn't work there ...

DNS/Bind config is fraught with lots of little things you have to get just right if you expect it to work the way you think it should, or at all. A misplace "." can screw things up wildly and cause problems to propagate. You need to watch the log files as you fire it up.

Having the files
x.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone
for each of the values of 'x'
(Oh! and the corresponding entries in the named.conf)
has a number of advantages over one big
168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone
file. Why? localization. It means you can alter just one thing and leave other stuff you know works intact. It means you can experiment without dire consequences. It means if there is an error then it cqn be more easily localized, identified and fixed. And more

Me, I'm paranoid.
I could use
23 IN PTR mail
but I chose to use
23 IN PTR mail.antonaylward.com.

Please note the period.
The first only works if you have the named.conf set up correctly while the latter is more robust.

I'd VERY VERY STRONGLY advise that you get and read the O'Reilley book
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596100575.do

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013