Re: [opensuse] Reboot Fails After 12.1 64Bit Installation?
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:38:10 -0800
Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jessie,

I've seen this myself with 12.1. I have a feeling it's something to
do with the nVidia graphics.

Once I see the garbled screen I wait a fairly long time (5-minutes?)
to make sure the install has finished doing whatever it's doing. I
then hit the power button momentarily in the hope a graceful
shutdown will be started. It usually doesn't, so I wait another long
time before holding the power button down to force the power off.

The box should then boot up and proceed with the install where it left
off. I've had to do this more than once on a couple of installs.

IMHO this is a fatal flaw in 12.1 for new users to openSuSE. I
can't honestly recommend the system to anyone who will be
doing their own install. I'm not complaining, it's still a great
system once you get past the installation and switch over to
the nVidia tarball driver.

Regards,
Lew

Just out of curiosity, why tarball and not the nVidia rpm repository?

Thx!

Carl