Re: [opensuse] openSUSE Can't Mount Android 3.x/4.x Devices
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:32:42 +0100
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:09, Swapnil Bhartiya
<swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

As we know Android 3.x/4.x uses MTP which is not very well supported under
Linux. When I connect my device using Gnome, while I can see the content and
folder there are several issues:
1. I can't see content inside the folders thus all the images that I take
from my Android device can't be copied to my PC.
2. I can create new folder and drag and drop content inside those folder --
such as movies. But once I disconnect the device and connect again, I can't
see inside those folders as well.

With Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.0 will be the mainstream OS for Android, we
need to support it so that users are not left to use Windows/Mac

Ironically KDE can't even copy paste data inside the tablet. So, its bigger
issue in KDE.

I have tested all the online manuals none work. I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1
and am planning to buy Galaxy Nexus.

First question that comes to mind is... is it "normal" use to connect
the tablet via USB and try to mount it? I've had my Android 3 tablet
for a while now and never once needed to connect it via USB cable.
The whole idea/principle behind them is mobility and connecting via
WiFi works very very well.

If you're using Windows, you need to download and install special
drivers to be able to connect and move data back and forth - at least
with my Acer tablet you do.

On the Linux side for mounting via USB, yes MTP is broiken at best...
but, have you looked into aafm?

http://soledadpenades.com/2011/07/18/aafm-the-android-adb-file-manager/
and
https://github.com/sole/aafm

I don't think it's in the openSUSE repos, but it could be added at
least as a User repo for testing.

C.