Re: [opensuse] vmtools problem...
John Andersen skrev 2011-06-26 20:05:
On 6/26/2011 3:34 AM, Anders Norrbring wrote:
The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does
not match
your running kernel (version 2.6.37.6-0.5-default). Even if the module
were to
compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

There are lots of google hints about this: version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE
Some involve running a patch, which seem mostly out of date except
perhaps this one: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/280117?

Some involve symlinks
http://linuxscribe.blogspot.com/2011/06/problems-configuring-vmware-tools-with.html
or
http://bitnami.org/forums/forums/virtual-appliances/topics/installing-vmware-tools-on-ubuntu-11-04-tracks

Some others involve manually setting some variables due to uname not
delivering the exact names for some of your
directories, but this is just the same as the softlink methods above.

Again, this seems all to run perfectly for Vmware Workstation on 11.4 so
there must be something
in the version of Vmware Server you are using.

Could be, but it works perfectly fine for guests running 11.3 and earlier openSUSE versions on the exact same host machine. I prefer to run the open-vm-tools distributed with openSUSE since I don't have to recompile with every kernel update.

Anders.