Re: [opensuse] How to re-shuffle disk partitions - Part Two
Felix Miata said the following on 04/22/2011 04:28 PM:
That leaves me with two unallocated areas, one about 16GB and one of
about 2.26 GB.
As stated above, you really only have one unallocated area, 157-2557.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread where there was the dual
boot configuration, and compare it to the 'now' you'll see

a) the space occupied by the C: and D: is now occupied by the
very much smaller /boot and swap, leaving a large unoccupied areas

b) the root on /dev/sda6 had small swap partitions on either side:

/dev/sda8 2551 2557 56164+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda6 2558 2836 2241036 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 2837 2845 72261 82 Linux swap

So with those gone there are current THREE unallocated areas.

The reason I say this is that the old sda{867} were in the EXTENDED
partition.

You are correct in that there are two numerical spans, but I think there
would be a problem if I tried creating a file system that covered
157-2557.

This is why I want to move root - /dev/sda6 - out of the extended
partition, and do the shuffling of boundaries.

Lets do this in parts.
I can create a new primary partition starting at 157 in which to put the
root. How can I copy root? I can't simply copy using rsync because of
/dev and /proc and /sys ....

I'll need to patch up fstab and grub (menu.lst as you say).

That will leave me with TWO unallocated areas, one in the extended
partition.

Are you saying that I can just edit the partition table arbitrarily to
say where the extended partition begins? Alter the 2551 to 2845.
Won't that break things?

--
Where we cannot invent, we may at least improve.
- Charles Caleb Colton