Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.3 hangs with Firefox or Google Chrome running.
Pls take this with a large grain of salt, my memory may be faulty . . .

Are you using the nvidia proprietary driver? IIRC there have been issues
reported with the repo driver and the stock kernel that in particular affected
performance in Firefox and possibly Plasma (I don't recall anything reported re
Chrome, however). The solution that some found to work was upgrading the
kernel from :HEAD and then manually installing the newer nvidia driver
downloaded from their site (which means you should first uninstall the driver
from the repo via YaST or zypper). With some searching through this list you
should easily find the thread(s) discussing this issue.

Good luck.

Btw, you should be able to re-install Firefox without any problem just renaming
.mozilla, and then migrating back your bookmarks file to the newly created
.mozilla. The bookmarks is just an xml file.

Hi,

I have installed OpenSuse 11.3 on two machines. The first has been running
for
almost a month now with no problems. The second hangs everytime I have
Firefox
or Chrome running. Sometimes I can browse the web for a few minutes before it
hangs other times it just hangs on loading a default set of tabs. Both are
using KDE as the window manager. Both machines previously had KDE3.? on them
and now have KDE4. The machine that now hangs had some trouble with migrating
the KDE3 settings to KDE4. When the machine hangs I even try CTRL-ALT-DEL and
CTRL-ALT-2 but there is no response; needs a hard reset.

If I run the Kernel in failsafe mode then the machine does not hang; with
both
KDE normal or failsafe mode.
If I run the Kernel in normal mode and either KDE normal or failsafe mode
with
Firefox or Chrome running the system will hang.
If I run the Kernel in normal mode and KDE in normal mode then browse the web
with Konqueror there was no problem.

What type of information should I collect to find the problem? I would really
like to fix this.

I was thinking of deleting the .mozilla directory and re build from scratch,
except for my bookmark file.

I think this is a mozilla browser problem but why does it hang the Kernel?

Thank you,