Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.3 hangs with Firefox or Google Chrome running.
What type of information should I collect to find the problem? I would
really
like to fix this.

I'd look at the apm kernel options, most likely apm=off. Try booting the
default kernel, but add "apm=off" to the command line (grub let's you add
options to the kernel command line at boot time). If this solves the problem
(as I suspect that it will), the modify /etc/grub/menu.lst and add "apm=off"
to the kernel boot for the default kernel (probably under the Desktop or
default sections).

Hope this helps.

-Nick