Re: [opensuse] boot runlevel (was: Graduated from ...)
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:34:45 -0500
On 2010/12/24 19:43 (GMT+0200) Mark Goldstein composed:

Stan Goodman wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

On 2010/12/24 10:54 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:

> my question was how to assure that it will boot to level 3,
> although its default is level 5.

Put the runlevel number you wish to start in on the Grub kernel line,
in this case, a 3. All my menu.lst stanzas include a number, which
reminds me which runlevel I'll be starting in, and to specify another
first if that isn't what I want on the upcoming boot.

AhA!! A _GRUB_ command line! Nobody has mentioned that until now The
implication has been that there is somewhere in the normal boot screens a
place to enter the number of the desired run level, and I have been
puzzling over that for the better part of the day. Now all is clear.

You normally have a line for "boot options" in the boot screen. These
are the parameters you want to pass to the kernel. In particular, you
can type the desired run level there.

It has the same effect as adding these options at the end of "kernel"
line in grub menu stanza

To be clear, whatever you do on the boot options line on Grub's boot screen amounts to editing the kernel line of the selected stanza in menu.lst, but just for the upcoming boot.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/