Re: [opensuse] Graduated from "Absent trash icon" to disaster
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:17:57 -0500
On 12/24/2010 03:54 AM, Stan Goodman pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Thursday 23 December 2010 23:46:17 Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:
On 12/23/2010 4:31 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
it was mentioned in this thread (forgot by whom):

Then I overlooked it, for which I apologize.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-changing-run-levels.html

No, that is not what I asked about. The URL you have provided is for
changing the run level in a system that is already operating, or for
setting the run level for the subsequent boot of a system that is now
operating. In contrast, my system is currently not operating and not
operable; my question was how to assure that it will boot to level 3,
although its default is level 5.

But thanks.

Type a 3 at the boot prompt and hit enter. And you can use Ctrl-Alt-F1
(or F2 or F3 or F5) to get to a text screen if at run level 5 and type
init 3 for run level 3.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998