Re: [opensuse] Question about Free Software policies within the openSUSE Project
  • From: "Michael S. Dunsaavage" <mikesd1981@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:19:39 -0500
On 12/23/2010 4:50 PM, Kostas Boukouvalas wrote:
If a user wants a free as in free beer GNU/Linux distribution that's easy to use and runs all the hardware she can have SLED as well. So, I think that openSUSE project is struggling to create something that already exists.
I must be failing to see what you're point. SLED is tailored to desktop users. SLES is tailored to servers. openSUSE seems to be the best of both worlds and more on the bleed edge. What exactly is openSUSE struggling to create? To me it seems to be a stable, but somewhat experimental, release developed by a community of rather intelligent, and willing to help, people.

I see nothing useful of making openSUSE a true free OSS distro. In fact it would hinder it's adoption. I said before that the closed source binaries are a necessary evil. If we didn't compromise and have them, I guarantee Linux adoption would not be anywhere close to what it is. You would never get anyone to even try it if they can't play media files or get hardware to work properly. It would great if big name companies would develop for Linux and open their drivers, but it won't happen any time soon. And without this compromise of allowing closed source binaries into Linux, and I'm not meaning the kernel, then Linux would never have gotten it's 5% to 10% (depending what source you believe) adoption to the desktop.

The FSF also needs to re-evaluate it's campaigns. They're starting to sounds more like zealots. If you're going to say don't use this and don't use that, then they need to suggest alternatives. It all boils down to the point of Open Source. It's choice. If you're opposed to using closed source binaries or software, so be it. Don't load those repos, don't install those pieces of software. But don't force that down my throat either. You can't say it's about choice and then take away one of the choices.