Re: [opensuse] xinitd: package imap not installed: service can not be enabled.
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:57:13 -0500
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-16-10 18:56]:

If mutt serves all your needs, then certainly, mutt via ssh is fine.
But there are more uses than accessing email from another machine: I
use it because I can read an email with Alpine, then also start
Thunderbird and read another email with html, and have both Th and
alpine at the same time reading the same folder.

And I can start multiple ssh instances and do the same and/or open
multiple xterm screens from a single ssh instance and do the same and/or
I can open an ssh instance of screen/tmux and do the same :^)

And the advantage of dovecot for us is that it can read mail folders
on your home, and you still can use mutt/alpine to access those
folders in the old way, directly. Dovecot can share.

But I can still do the same with less installed software and fewer open
ports via ssh :^)

That is, I still can use mail exactly as I did before installing
dovecot. The rest of the chain is the same one, unmodified:
fetchmail, postfix, amavis, spamassassin, procmail.

This is the primary reason that I began using ssh and I can also open a
vncviewer instance and run X directly from my home machine.

How is it said, "Many ways to skin a cat" :^)

I still find that ssh [-Y} is the simplest. And you could do the same
with ssh/pine/alpine/????.