Re: [opensuse] xinitd: package imap not installed: service can not be enabled.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 00:53:48 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2010-12-16 at 17:09 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Carlos E. R. <> [12-16-10 16:38]:

I removed imap package and dovecot still works and I still have access to
remote/local mail via imap. I now have no /etc/init.d/imap*, either, and
the service is no longer running.

Dovecot is started from "dovecot" script, not imap. At least, mine is.

I believe I was following instructions from the internet (?) that
included starting imap service via xinit.d and enabling that service
required installing imap.

You should have followed my littly guide ;-p

Anyway, it apparently is *not* necessary and is now gone :^)

And mail still works. Unless I begin serving mail for someone other than
myself, I see *no* need for the hoops, dovecot/squirrelmail/imap. Remote
access via ssh is sufficient. The only possibility I see atm is being
somewhere with *slow* internet service, and that would cause difficulty
in either case.

If mutt serves all your needs, then certainly, mutt via ssh is fine. But there are more uses than accessing email from another machine: I use it because I can read an email with Alpine, then also start Thunderbird and read another email with html, and have both Th and alpine at the same time reading the same folder.

And the advantage of dovecot for us is that it can read mail folders on your home, and you still can use mutt/alpine to access those folders in the old way, directly. Dovecot can share.

That is, I still can use mail exactly as I did before installing dovecot. The rest of the chain is the same one, unmodified: fetchmail, postfix, amavis, spamassassin, procmail.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)