Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:25:54 -0400
* Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> [06-03-10 04:18]:
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 00:54 +0200, David Haller wrote:

==== mutt/manual.txt ====
Note: new mail is detected by comparing the last modification time to
the last access time. Utilities like biff or frm or any other program
which accesses the mailbox might cause Mutt to never detect new mail
for that mailbox if they do not properly reset the access time.
Backup tools are another common reason for updated access times.
====

Odd. access != modification.

But it does :^). It changes the access time and shows that the mail is
now "old" rather than "new". old != unread & unread != new

Backup should only care about changes, not simple accesses that do not
change the thing accessed. I wonder if the docs match the program.
Perhaps what they mean by access is modification, and are just being
imprecise in the description. I would be sorely disappointed in any
software that detected changes because I had looked at - but not changed
- something.

re mutt, backup has nothing to do with mutt.

I wonder about the mutt method. If an independent program that had
nothing to do with showing me mail accessed (no change) a mail message
file before mutt did, mutt would not detect that it was new? Or does
mutt also say that no other software can look at (not change) the mail
files?

But there *is* a change between a file "never accessed" and one that has
been accessed. Mutt uses this distinction.