Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:18:17 +0200
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 14:33, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
<quote>
i cannot over-emphasise how much of a deal it is in practice. Atime
updates are by far the biggest IO performance deficiency that Linux has
today. Getting rid of atime updates would give us more everyday Linux
performance than all the pagecache speedups of the past 10 years,
_combined_.
</quote>

This is true.

If they had atime, and a slow I/O bus, and then they set noatime
[because they thought they should on an SSD] - that might explain some
of the performance improvement.

Hmmmm interesting. Well, I just added noatime to the fstab for my
various partitions (root, home, etc.) and did a mount -o remount on
each partition. Now the test :-) is there any noticeable difference.

I've no doubt start-up times are faster,  that I'd suspect, would be a
real-world difference.  As for me, start-up is pretty fast anyway, I
don't startup that often (twice a day?)... so I just don't get what the
big deal is.  Faster is nice, but really [for me anyway] it doesn't
matter.

Yes true. On my mian machine it goes through a startup cycle once a
week at most.. more usual is once every month or two.

For good SSD's there is a real difference when you are doing a high rate
of *random* and *small* read/writes.  Like with an RDBMS, especially for
a database journal/log partition.

Aha, that would do it. Interesting information so far... and now with
noatime set on all my partitions... well, I have to wait a bit to see
if it helps.

you also have many services spinning up at once].  But once you are
logged in and working,  just about everything you want should be at
least partially in RAM already.

On my main machine I've got 8GB of RAM. The difference between say..
2Gb of RAM and 8GB is night and day with Linux.

C.