Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:25:06 +0200
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:58, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
11.3.  I've been doing some reading, and see a lot of conflicting
info... in one place I see notes that you must set noatime and you
cannot(should not)

"noatime" or a near work-alike [relatime?] is the default in modern
kernels.

This is one of those conflicts of information I see. Some people say
it's a default so no worries.. then the next says.. no way, you have
to set this option or... the world will end... or your SSD will
fail... whichever comes first.

In large part because the hype has dyed down.  SSDs offer some specific
advantages in some cases;  and none in most cases.  Just a more
expensive solution for [less] mass-storage.  Unless you have a real I/O
bottleneck problem - don't bother.  Most of the people I've met who are
using them are doing so because they are the cool-new-thing.

There is that, but... on computers I've seen running on SSD drives,
the boot cycle, and application startup is a LOT faster. it's not
just a little bit better... it's a couple orders of magnitude
faster.... which is why I'm looking into moving to SSD.

My root install plus home directory could fit comfortably on a 64 or
even a 32Gb drive. I have a couple of Tb of disks for storage, and
that's all they do now... store files.. multimedia (music, video), web
related stuff, game source files, work projects etc etc. All stuff
that is accessed once in a while.. not on a reg basis. My thinking
is... it might be possible to see a performance boost by switching
over to SSD for the OS plus basic /home... thus the questions.. and
the research I'm doing before I run out and buy the first SSD on the
shelf.

C.