Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 06:58:04 -0400
On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 17:51 +0200, C wrote:
Has anyone started seriously testing and tinkering with openSUSE on
SSD drives?
The prices are dropping and I'm thinking it's time to move over to SSD
for my main drive - I'm thinking I'll do this around the release of
11.3. I've been doing some reading, and see a lot of conflicting
info... in one place I see notes that you must set noatime and you
cannot(should not)

"noatime" or a near work-alike [relatime?] is the default in modern
kernels.

Most of the rest of the information is at least 2 years old and mostly
focuses on panic over the limited read/write cycles on SSDs... one

In large part because the hype has dyed down. SSDs offer some specific
advantages in some cases; and none in most cases. Just a more
expensive solution for [less] mass-storage. Unless you have a real I/O
bottleneck problem - don't bother. Most of the people I've met who are
using them are doing so because they are the cool-new-thing.

Unless you do careful reasearch on the unit to buy they don't
necessarily even save you any power [assuming you are using a laptop and
care about power].

camp says no problems, just install as usual... the other says no
way.. disable this and that, and put home on a reg drive, and and and.
So.. what's the concensus here? Just install as normal now? Treat
the drives as a reg drive? Or handle with care and assume I'm
venturing into fail country?

Spinning drives are cheap and reliable. Stick with spinning drives.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>