Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 00:36:51 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2010-03-15 at 21:35 +0100, David Haller wrote:

Hello,

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Device names are not stable. In my machine one day sda is /dev/sda,
another it is /dev/sdd. It depends on the external disks being powered up
or not. If I used such names in fstab my machine would not boot.

Do you have 'usb-storage' in your initrd? If so: you need that only to
boot from usb-attached stuff, i.e. as long as you don't have
root=<some_usb_device> in your menu.lst for that kernel/initrd,
through out usb-storage from that initrd. No usb-storage, no /dev/sd*.
So, as you need the driver (ahci, sata_*) in your initrd to boot, the
devices on the controller with that driver should reliably get
/dev/sda to /dev/sd[whatever].

Huh?

No, I'm talking about external sata drives, ie, on e-sata cables. If they are not powered, sata1 gets the name /dev/sda. If they are powered, eSATA-1 is named /dev/sda instead, but machine still boots from sata-1 as it should.

I don't have on that computer disks on usb. Currently.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.