Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 00:21:09 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2010-03-15 at 22:03 +0100, David Haller wrote:

Look, tomorrow (now it is past 2 AM, and I get up at 6) I'll set the
external sata drives to AHCI, and try to boot from the remaining internal
disks, on IDE mode. I'll try to see if the external disks can be found.

(see my other post with the result of this test)

Is that good enough for you?

Good enough for me. Anyway: when I set the onboard controller to AHCI,
the drives too disappear from the BIOS. And they reappear as
IDE-Drives in the BIOS-screen when I set to IDE-mode. But, in
AHCI-mode, when I boot, I get the BIOS screen (without(!) the drives),
then the RAID-BIOS screen from the extra SATA-Controller,

Yes, something like this. I made a photo. But no prompt for another configuration screen.

and _THEN_
an "AHCI BIOS" screen from AMI, showing my "disappeared drives" and
telling me to press ctrl-a to get into the "Hyper Drive Utility"
(which is useless).

This one I do not get. See photo on the other post.

Then Grub loads normally (IIRC I didn't need to
reinstall grub after the mobo switch and IDE->AHCI change, same drive,
reconnected to SATA0 / /dev/sda).

If I set to ahci the group where the boot disk is, that one holding sata1 to sata6, grub does not start. I just get a blank screen, with a blinking cursor near the top left corner.

You just need to add 'ahci' into
your initrd before that so that you can actually boot if above is
similar with your BIOS.

Adding modules to initrd is pointless, as I don't even get the grub screen.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.