Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 01:42:55 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2010-03-14 at 06:16 +0100, David Haller wrote:

Hello,

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Is it my fault that SATA drives dissapear from the bios if ahci is
activated in the bios?

Weird. Do you get a "AHCI Controller" screen after the normal BIOS
screen and before the resource listing (that with the IRQs)? I get
that with the AMI Bios on a Gigabyte board. What board/BIOS do you
have? (just curious)

See my other post wit links to photos to what I see. When I attempt to boot in AHCI mode I see this:

http://picpaste.com/Imagen0152.jpg

when I attempt to boot - if I remember the correct photo.

In IDE mode I see a lot of things in the boot sequence that go too fast for me to remember. I'll try to record a video with my nokia celular phone another day. Quality may be too bad to read, though.

Board is MSI P45 Diamond, (dmidecode says: MS-7516). Bios is "American Megatrends Inc.", which I assume is "AMI", V1.5, 10/10/2008.

The choices I have, and it is a new board, are
"ide, raid, ahci". I have to use "ide", which in fact means sata, hotplug
and all working fine.

AFAIR hotplug and NCQ work only in AHCI mode ...

Hotplug is indeed working for me, and it is in in IDE mode. See photos.
NCQ I don't know what it is.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.