Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:18:40 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2010-03-14 at 12:40 -0000, Peter Nikolic wrote:

and this device by name thing is well bin fodder .

Only in your eyes. Others regard it as a welcome help to get stable
device names.

Now your taking the pith thats a FACT if they are stable why are there so many
complaints about names and allocations that change

Device names are not stable. In my machine one day sda is /dev/sda, another it is /dev/sdd. It depends on the external disks being powered up or not. If I used such names in fstab my machine would not boot.

If your devices do not change, you are just lucky.

this device by name thing can we please get rid of this deranged junk ,

It's neither deranged nor junk.

It IS both deranged and junk

It is not. Go complain to the hardware manufacturers and developpers, not here. And you'd better be able to propose a better piece of code.

Who defines which port is ide1 or sata1?

Look at the mother board they ARE Marked 0and 1 or 1 and 2 and if your Mobo
is not i suggest you send it back as it obviously missed a silk screen process

And how do you read those labels in software? Perhaps you propose the motherboard has a camera pointing at the cables, so that the kernel can read them and adapt the names "correctly"?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.