Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:11:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2010-03-14 at 01:49 +0100, Philipp Thomas wrote:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:12:28 +0000, you wrote:

get back to drive on the first interface hda second hdb ect get rid of this
stupid enforced scsi rubbish if sata devices need a seperate name then sata
satb satc satd makes far more sense

What do you call first interface? Motherboards normally have more then
one controller onboard, at least one in the chipset and additional
controllers for PATA and/or eSATA drives. Where do you start counting?
And how do you want to order the loading of drivers?

It is impossible to know.

The motherboard has a number of connectors, but there is no way for the software to know wich is number one, which number two... perhaps it should be by the number of plugs, but as you say, there are several sets of sockets, and some can be disabled or enabled on the bios. There is no way for the software to learn the order, and it is not fixed.

There is no other way but use names related to some identificator inside the disks, like labels, model/serial, uids... whatever.

Now, my doubt, is how grub relates its names, like hd0, hd1, hd2 to the kernel naming like sda, sdb, sdc... there is a device-map file, but that comes later. What logic is used to create that file? is the file used during boot, or is it simply for our information, as I think?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.