Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:46:08 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2010-03-13 at 12:10 +0100, C wrote:

distributions, 1 swap and 1 /home)
SATA1 = 1TB (data drive1, single partition)
SATA2 = 500GB (data drive2, single partition)
SATA3 = 500GB (data drive3, single partition)
SATA4= 320GB (Windows drive)

And how do you know that SATA 0 is 0 and not, say, 3? :-)

Ummm.. well.. Based on the SATA0 label on the motherboard, and the
fact that the drive is the first one detected by the BIOS... so based
on that.. I am calling it SATA0 :-)

Ah, yes. Makes sense :-)

Mine are not labeled, or I can't see the labels. I figured them out by unpluging one by one. Then, I wrote labels on the metal sheet nearby and the cables.

/dev/sda = SATA2
/dev/sdb = SATA3
/dev/sdc = SATA4
/dev/hdc = SATA0
/dev/hdd = SATA1

Note that this time the two 1TB drives are picked up as hdc and hdd
instead of sdd and sde.

huh? :-o

Exactly. But.. the replies on this thread got me to poke the BIOS a
bit more, and I think maybe I've uncovered part of the reason for
this... maybe. I have three advanced options for my onboard SATA
controler(s).... One to enable it... One to set the SATA type (Native
IDE, RAID, or AHCI) and the third... which might be the root of the
weird drive order and detection... it's called "OnChip SATA Port4/5
Type" and I can choose between As SATA Type and IDE. The help for the
IDE setting says that the SATA Port 4/5 Work at IDE mode. So..
guessing here... what I've been calling SATA0 and SATA1 are on
Port4/5... and it was set to IDE mode... so in the case of Gentoo, it
picked up the drives as IDE... thus hdc and hdd. The reason.. and I'm
guessing here.. that it's hdc and hdd is because that controller looks
to be sharing with the PATA controller in some way and the unused IDE0
and IDE1 would be picked up as hda and hdb? As I said.... just
guessing while I try to figure this all out.

I think it is similar to what I have. I made photos or the bios screens (American megatrends), to aid me. It says it has an "on board e-sata controller", set to mode "ide" (the exact text on the bios display says: "Raid mode: ide"). There is an "extra raid/ide controller", also on mode "ide". And there is an "on-chip sata controller", also mode "ide". The modes can be ide, raid or ahci. I think I should use ahci, but if I do, the drives dissapear even from the bios and the board does not boot. If I set all to pci, then the bios lists sata1 to sata6, then ide primary master and slave (not plugged), then sata7 and 8, and finally, e-sata1 and 2. They only work if set to "ide".

Go figure.

And correspondingly, linux (oS 11.2) does not load sata drivers:

lsmod:

ide_pci_generic 5484 0
ide_core 148064 1 ide_pci_generic
ata_generic 6508 0
pata_jmicron 4552 0

However, I get features like hopluging drives, which I use.

Using lspci, I see:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port SATA IDE
Controller

00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port SATA IDE
Controller

04:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 AHCI Controller
(rev 03)
04:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 AHCI Controller
(rev 03)
05:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 AHCI Controller
(rev 03)
05:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 AHCI Controller
(rev 03)

Otherwise, you have one grub in the MBR, as master grub, and this will load
another grub (in any
boot partition) as needed, chaining menus - but "makeactive" will not work. The
advantage is that
you need not use primary partitions and the number of grubs is not limited.

This might be ultimately the way I'll go with it... once I can get it
all sorted :-P

Good luck :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.