Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:25:58 +0100
Hello,

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Friday, 2010-03-12 at 17:37 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
You must not have your MB controller set to use AHCI. You control
that via you bios settings.

I strongly suggest you use AHCI if you can. It is the linux preferred
way to talk to a SATA drive.

In my case, if I do that the disks dissapear.

What exactly do you not understand about 'if you can'?

Do you have 'ahci' in your initrd? If not: it's your own fault.

There _are_ good reasons not to use AHCI.

And there are good reasons to use it.

YMMV.

As I've implicated: I've used the non-AHCI mode on the three year old
"new box" (sata_nv + sata_sil) until the MoBo broke. Three years ago
_is_ three years ago though, and I just didn't have the time to test
the switch to AHCI under 10.2/11.1/11.2 before that mobo-change. But
now, with the HW change and 11.2, I thought, heck, just let's try
it. So, now, I use ahci for the AMD/ATI onboard chip and sata_sil as
before for the offboard controller. And well, it just works just like
it did (with /dev/sda being what it was, the HDD switch was a bit
later).

Mind you: on the old box, I use 2.4.x and the old legacy IDE drivers
(i.e. not even pata_* but the real old generic IDE non-libata stuff).

I also use the OSS sound drivers, never got Alsa working ok with that
ISA soundcard I got, even though Alsa's supposed to support it and I
think I got some noise out of it using Alsa under some SUSE 8.x-10.1
or so, but not reliably. Probably because even isapnp/pnpdump see
nothing of that card. So I stick with OSS.

-dnh

--
Me: "This message in the Messages and Codes Manual says that I should
consult my systems programmer."