Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-ppc] No More Official PPC Distro
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:21:06 -0500
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Klaas. <kplists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you for your effort.
As I am looking for a road forward in view of the fact
that Apple dropped their PPC machines from support
I selected openSuse.
There is a G4 Mini -  running openSuse 10.3 and regularly
updated. Not used every day but still very well on this
hardwar.
There is a G5 Dual 1.8 waiting to be useful again, and it
has a 11.1 installation but not good. The desktop keeps
reloading.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of 11.1.  I'm still running 11.0 on my machine.
I've installed 11.2 on my son's but he likes KDE4 and I don't.

As for going to 11.2, all the iso's I downloaded wouldn't
boot. I'll wait and try the next factory distro as soon
as available.
In the meantime I am unclear about the factory process. Is
it just names like that because it is unclear what the
status of the code is? Or some other reason?

Factory is the developement branch.  All the Milstones(Betas and
Alphas) and snapshots of Facotry at a specific point.  So are the
Release Candidates.  The final version is split off from Factory
before the release.  Then Factory moves on and becomes the development
platform for the next version.  So, while 11.2 has kernel 2.30.x(or
whatever), Factory will move on to 2.31.x whatever.

Factory is already moving forward toward 11.3 as you say.

And a Roadmap already exists: http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap

Dec. 12 is the first milestone release. Don't be surprised if it has
major issues. The early milestones are not expected to be stable.
They are mostly useful for having a reference in bugzilla etc.

Greg