[opensuse] detection of network attached devices
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:45:12 +0100

Is there a decent way to detect devices connected via the ethernet.
Don't panic. The question is really more specific:

I am looking at using some measurement lasers that announce their
presence via a udb packet on a specific port. Of course, I could make an
application that listens on this port for lasers to come and go. But is
this possible to do within the scope of HALD/UDEV/DBUS? I am thinking it
could be better to use the system provided tools for this so I might
take advantage of other system tools related to devices.

I know how to deal with USB devices via udev. But I cannot think there
is a similar listener for UDP packets. Or is there? Or some better way.

One benefit of this is that I could see the lasers as they arrive in the
KDE panel widget for devices.

Any useful pointers are appreciated. I did a google search for what I
thought would find something, but it always seemed to be about usb...

Although I am ultimately targeting openSUSE 11.2, it would be great if
it worked starting at openSUSE 10.3.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST