Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 10:48 -0400, John E. Perry wrote:
James Knott wrote:
John E. Perry wrote:
OK, I've been watching this thread with great interest, and I still
don't understand well enough to know the answer:
Thank you, James; you seem to be the only one who understood my question...
My home network is based on a wifi/router/firewall. I buy one line
from Cox. As I understand it, more IP addresses would cost
correspondingly more; I know this was true for my previous IP.
According to the spec, the ISP is supposed to give you a huge block
of addresses (/64?), so you won't have to pay more.
This was the first point of my question: I don't want to have to buy
half a dozen addresses. (BTW, I just saw my error below -- I of course
meant 192.168.x.x).

Knott is correct. And I guess we assume that ISPs are going to follow
the spec. Once your router knows its /64 than it announces that via
ICMPv6 and any hosts on the network should auto-configure themselves
into that IPv6 subnet. They should automatically be completely
addressable Internet nodes, it really is an awesome improvement over
IPv4.

There isn't any reason for ISPs to be stingy as an ISP should get a [or
multiple] /48 giving them each 2^16 /64 subnets for customers. And
there are (2^32)-1 /48s inside just 2002::/16 [off the cuff
calculation].

So it's very convenient for me to buy one address, connect my
Netgear to it, and use dhcp for the half-dozen devices I have in my
home. Since 198.162.x.x addresses cannot pass through a router, my
network is private, and the firewall, set up to ignore all attempts
at external access, makes me invisible to the Internet unless one
of my computers initiates a transaction.
How does ipv6 handle this?
IPv6 includes local network ranges that are not passed over the
internet. One range can be routed internally and another cannot.
Either of those can be used, according to your needs. You also do
not need a DHCP server as your addresses (yes, you can have more than
one) are based on your MAC address.

IPv6 interfaces naturally support multiple addresses, unlike IPv4 where
you have stupidity like alias interfaces eth0:1, eth0:2, etc... For
example an IPv6 interface here has an fe80: (link local), an fdb5::
(internal), and a public address.

And this took care of the second point. I do not, and do not intend to,
implement a public server of any kind, or manage my network remotely, or
do anything else that might require me to open any of my network to
externally initiated transactions.

Just set your IPv6 enabled firewall to block all incoming connections.

So, I have no reason, apparently, not to go ipv6 except that my wireless
router (Netgear WPN824v2) doesn't support it. If I ever want to change
it out, I won't have to ignore ipv6 offerings, then.

A WAP that knows nothing about IPv6 should still be able to handle IPv6
traffic, it is just a magical bridge afterall.