Re: [opensuse] Re: Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:55:25 +0100
Joachim Schrod wrote:

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

IPv6 is *NOT* a "new technology". Not even close. XP supported
IPv6,
Vista did [by default!], and now there is Windows 7. So even on M$
it
is *THREE* OS revs old. It has been supported in LINUX since 2.4!

I wouldn't equate "supported" with "knows how to handle IPv6
packets". Stateful inspection arrived only with 2.6.20, tc still
doesn't handle it. IPv6 routing is either still not integrated with
RPDB, or the integration is brand-new; I haven't looked the last year.

Yes, lack of IPv6 support in tc (traffic control) is potentially a quite
significant problem. I need tc to reserve bandwidth for VoIP, but I
guess it'll be a while before I've got enough IPv6 traffic for it to
cause any real issue.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.2°C)