Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:38:43 +0000

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
I use it 8 hours a day, five days a week. Works fine.
It has been supported in Cisco IOS since late 11.x. How long does
something have to be around before it isn't "new" anymore? Calling
someone who implements IPv6 *now* as cutting or leading edge is
ridiculous.
No it isn't. Get real, Adam. The support is not out there. Most
providers are only just now beginning to dabble with it.
What does provider support have to do with deploying IPv6 on your
network? There is zero reason to wait for your provider - in fact, that
is a bad idea. When your provider shows up with IPv6 support you won't
be ready to exploit it.
I think someone is living in cloud cuckoo land here.

<snipped>

Ah, "the bigger picture" - now I understand. Of course, how could I be
so naive.

It would be nice to have a magic wand to make
everything better, but these are in short supply.

Right - a gradual deployment over two years is a wave of a magic wand.

I think anyone designing a new (or a fundamental update of a) commercial
network infrastructure around IPv4 is probably not entirely sane, but
the growth of IPv6 is mainly going to be determined by the rate of
update of physical infrastructure. This process is not going be fast.

With your approach and deep understanding of "the bigger picture" it
will be worse than not fast. At least where you are. Weather is great
over here.

On the other hand there are few (if any) benefits for IPv6 deployment on
home networks, and it is surprising how much home kit is state of the Ark.

Home networks don't have any policy or deployment of anything at all.
That is clearly NOT what we are discussing.

*sigh*

IPv6 has been around for nearly 20 years, but still has yet to make a
really significant impact, and the really important question is why?
Which is not quite the same as being hostile to adoption of the
technology.

Unfortunately, going around like chicken little saying the sky
is going to fall is not going to help adoption much (especially after
the W2K event which left some organisations wondering where all the
millennium bug monies spent on consultation really went :-) and as AFAIK
no government has given the address space issues and IPv6 the W2K
treatment).

I first came across IPv6 in the early 1990s when the UK academic network
was involved in complex and fierce debate on whether it should even
allow IPv4 and TCP/IP to co-exist on that network with the protocols
which were then in use on it (which were considered by some to be
superior in terms of security, speed and stability to TCP/IP at that
time and if IIRC did not have IPv4s address space issues, and I think
existence of IPv6 was used to counter the latter point).

As it is, DARPA have commissioned research on the development of a new
protocol to replace TCP/IP on the US defence network. (Who knows where
that will lead, especially as M$ are one of the contractors...).

I.T. usually exists in business to support the business function, and
outside of the I.T. industry the business function is not I.T. For most
I.T. support and technology is perceived as a cost centre, and everyone
knows what happens to cost centres in bad financial times.

Unfortunately in the current economic climate, going up to the bean
counters and the decision makers with the arguments that IPv4 to IPv6
transition will not take additional resources is more likely to be taken
as indicator that ones department has resources to spare ( with an
easily predictable result), and asking for additional resources is more
likely to indicate to the people involved that one is out of touch with
reality (with predictable results about ones perceived credibility).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup