Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:04:39 +0100
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 17:41 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 14:23 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Is that a _real_ issue to worry about, Hans? If a customer is
IPv4-only, and his provider decides to offer IPv6 too without
telling the customer, I don't see that changing anything for the
customer.
[snip]
I think so.
Systems can have their dhcp-set-up in different ways: IPV4-ONLY,
IPV6-ONLY and both IPv4 AND IPv6.
As long as your provider only hands out v4 addresses, all works
well, and the client just keeps on polling for ever.
But as soon as your ISP "sees the light" and gives you both an v4
AND and v6 address, and your v6 rule-set is "accept anyone from
anywhere" you might (!) end up in shit-creek. <<<<<< find your
system compromised. Unless you have your ip6tables rule set changed
to default drop-anything, which implies that one has started to
think/do something with IPv6, which was the main issue i made.
I was considering that most consumer/commodity ADSL boxes do not yet
support IPV6, so the provider can advertise IPV6 as much as he wants,
it won't cause a problem. That was what happened on my system.

Ok, but most organizations of any size are probably not connected to
the Internet via a commodity ADSL router.

Most businesses are small - 98% of businesses have less than 20
employees, and most probably little or no IT staff. I am pretty
certain the vast majority of those will have Zyxel and D-Link ADSL
boxes.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.1°C)