Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:23:02 +0100
Hans Witvliet wrote:

It means that in the early days of migration (specially if people are
not aware of providers suddenly present a dual stack to their
customers) will find their network highly exposed.... (imho that's the
main reason for getting your feet wet early)

Is that a _real_ issue to worry about, Hans? If a customer is
IPv4-only, and his provider decides to offer IPv6 too without telling
the customer, I don't see that changing anything for the customer. His
network equipment isn't just going to switch into dual-stack just like
that.
For instance, my provider set up IPv6 on my ADSL line Thursday night,
and didn't tell me until Friday morning. I can assure you it did not
affect my site security at all.

Oh, btw, it also solves the problem of having multiple apache
ssl-vhosts.

I was just reading an article about that in the most recent c't
(#23 - "SSL fuer virtuelle Server"). It mentions something called "TLS
Server Name Indication" - seems like Apache has had support since
2.2.12.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.8°C)