Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:01:26 +0000

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

I use it 8 hours a day, five days a week. Works fine.

It has been supported in Cisco IOS since late 11.x. How long does
something have to be around before it isn't "new" anymore? Calling
someone who implements IPv6 *now* as cutting or leading edge is
ridiculous.
No it isn't. Get real, Adam. The support is not out there. Most
providers are only just now beginning to dabble with it.

What does provider support have to do with deploying IPv6 on your
network? There is zero reason to wait for your provider - in fact, that
is a bad idea. When your provider shows up with IPv6 support you won't
be ready to exploit it.

I think someone is living in cloud cuckoo land here. You may be lucky in
that someone is prepared to resource your requirements, and maybe that
infrastructure was built from scratch.

Older infrastructures may have all sorts of weird and wonderful kludges
which support different things which may or may not be critical to
business function, and which may or may not be properly and accurately
documented. Many of those who run these have to struggle to get the
resources to support the network infrastructure that they have already
got, let alone create the network infrastructure they would like to
have, and in the current economic environment this is not likely to get
any better. IT departments are often very low in the organisational
pecking order or frequently very unpopular in the organisation if they
are not, so unfortunately tend to get the crumbs from the table and the
blame when everything goes pear shaped as a consequence of
under-resourcing.

The comments are very idealistic, and not really based practicalities of
the bigger picture. It would be nice to have a magic wand to make
everything better, but these are in short supply.

I think anyone designing a new (or a fundamental update of a) commercial
network infrastructure around IPv4 is probably not entirely sane, but
the growth of IPv6 is mainly going to be determined by the rate of
update of physical infrastructure. This process is not going be fast.

On the other hand there are few (if any) benefits for IPv6 deployment on
home networks, and it is surprising how much home kit is state of the Ark.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup