Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:08:17 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

IPv6 is *NOT* a "new technology". Not even close.

Umm, the implementation is quite new though - otherwise we would surely
not have had bugs such as this:

(getaddrinfo() doesn't deliver IPv4 mapped as IPv6 when asked for it).

reported less than 12 months ago.

XP supported IPv6, Vista did [by default!], and now there is Windows
7. So even on M$ it is *THREE* OS revs old. It has been supported in
LINUX since 2.4!

In the kernel yes, but what about the distros? How solid is openSUSE
wrt IPv6 for instance?

It has been supported in Cisco IOS since late 11.x. How long does
something have to be around before it isn't "new" anymore? Calling
someone who implements IPv6 *now* as cutting or leading edge is
ridiculous.

No it isn't. Get real, Adam. The support is not out there. Most
providers are only just now beginning to dabble with it. Commodity
hardware does not yet support it. When 99% of the community has yet to
implement it, the first 1% doing so IS cutting edge.

And as several periodicals have pointed out - YOU ARE RUNNING IPv6!
Unless you have explicitly disabled it on every new workstation,
server, printer, etc... [or you have all very old crap] you very
likely have IPv6 running on your network - it auto-configures. If
your routers, firewalls, and policies do not deal with IPv6 you have a
serious security problem.

Haha, you're surely joking. My router doesn't deal with IPv6, it
doesn't know what it is. My firewall ditto and my "policies" too. My
printer which is less than two years old has no clue about IPv6. My
Netgear wireless AP, also about two years old, has no clue.
Doesn't create any serious security problem for me - coz' despite IPv6
being present, nothing actually uses it!

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)