Re: [opensuse] Re: Practicalities of IPv6
On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 19:53 +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
2001::/16 - Allocated to RIRs
2002::/16 - Allocated to 6t4
fe80::/10 - Link local, those-MAC-derived addresses, at least for
Ethernet. It uses a mechanism knows as SLAAC to come up with, at least
on Ethernet, theoretically unique address.
fec0::/10 - Site local, like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc...
fc00::/8 - Unique Local, allocation still up in the air last I knew.
But these are like a real network address but not routeable (?).
fd00:/8 - Another kind of Unique Local, even more mysterious than
fc00::/8. But you can get one from SixXS who seem to have appointed
themselves as a registrar. This is what we use internally (one of
these) for now.
I.e., it is too difficult to plan and thus to set up in a small to
medium company environment.

How so?

When you upgrade a service or router, crank up a new site, or replace
some component you just make bringing up IPv6 part of the procedure.
We just added it to our inspection / refresh cycle and in ~2 years we
had IPv6 connectivity across the entire enterprise. We are hardly
all-new-equipment [much of our production equipment is even EOL by the
OEM] but it turns out *everything* except some printers, a couple
DS1/DS3 banks, and a few IPMI interfaces supported IPv6.

This is still a technology for big
companies or trivial SOHO deployments.

Why?

That's one more reasons why
IPv6 has less take up in Europe and the US, where the IPv4 shortage
is not felt.

If you strictly think of this in terms of *Internet* IPv6 this may be
the case. Internally you almost certainly have IPv6 running [whether
you know it or not] and most organizations are recently realizing they
have no choice but to deal with that.

Windows 7 coupled with services like Direct Access which are IPv6 only
are going to drive a rapid adoption of, at least internal, IPv6
deployments. Not to mention mobile devices where mobile IPv6 is a
solution we have needed for a long time.

Start deploying now or scramble later. Deploying IPv6 in a rush - that
is recipe for pain.

People who adopt this negative attitude may soon have the lovely
experience of explaining to management that no, you will not be able to
integrate with or utilize some new application/service until you
overhaul or review your entire network.