Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 10:30 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:

The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of
NAT for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Also suggests the implementation is not exactly consistent (or as
simple as intended)...

NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not quite sure
what that is intended for.

My understanding is those are addresses that can be used within an
organization, either through a router or not, but not accessable by the
world. This is exactly what NAT provides, beyond using local RFC1918
addresses. I suspect this may be a case of someone raising a question
because they don't understand the situation.

Could it have something todo with hooking up ipv4-rfc1918 nodes on a
IPv6 network?
Some machines will never be able to speak V6, and i'm not shure how to
an address-translation with ip(6)tables.
(I mean, incase one does not have an public IPv4 address anymore)

hw