Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:16:39 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not
quite sure what that is intended for.
My understanding is those are addresses that can be used within an
organization, either through a router or not, but not accessable
by the world.
That's the weird thing - it doesn't say so. At least not in
wikipedia.

Yea, that's a credible source. :)

Hardly reference material, but I figured the IPv6 material wouldn't
exactly be hot controversial stuff :-)

fe80::/10 - Link local, those-MAC-derived addresses, at least for
Ethernet. It uses a mechanism knows as SLAAC to come up with, at
least on Ethernet, theoretically unique address.

Reuse of MAC ranges has been heard of.

fec0::/10 - Site local, like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc...

RFC3879 deprecated those, but doesn't seem to propose any alternative.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.9°C)