Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:47:07 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not quite
sure what that is intended for.

My understanding is those are addresses that can be used within an
organization, either through a router or not, but not accessable by
the world.

That's the weird thing - it doesn't say so. At least not in wikipedia.
The 40-bit site-id is supposed to be random, so the unique local
address isn't guaranteed to be unique, but does have a very high
probability of being so. The thing is - todays RFC1918 IPv4 addresses
are obviously not unique, but also not routable, but what's with these
most-probably-unique IPv6 addresses that appear to be routable?

It's been a while since I read about it, but there are different tiers
of addresses. The bottom address range is based strictly on the MAC
address and is non-routeable. There are also other tiers that are
limited to an organization or even to a part of the organization. These
ranges are routeable, but not allowed on the internet, in the manner of
RFC1918. Address ranges in IPv6 is a topic in and of itself.