Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:38:37 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not quite
sure what that is intended for.

My understanding is those are addresses that can be used within an
organization, either through a router or not, but not accessable by
the world.

That's the weird thing - it doesn't say so. At least not in wikipedia.
The 40-bit site-id is supposed to be random, so the unique local
address isn't guaranteed to be unique, but does have a very high
probability of being so. The thing is - todays RFC1918 IPv4 addresses
are obviously not unique, but also not routable, but what's with these
most-probably-unique IPv6 addresses that appear to be routable?

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.8°C)