Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:04:41 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

Well, the practicallity of NAT is that it allows you to bridge other
networks to the internet, which themselves ain't part of it.

If you connect a network to the Internet it is part of it. NAT
doesn't change that.

I think we're going OT, but a private IPv4 network on RFC1918 addresses
behind a NAT gateway is in practice not very much part of the internet.
Maybe it depends on your interpretation of "being part of"?

This might be interesting
if you want to hide your own network structure,

Which NAT does not do. NAT is *not* a security measure; or at least
not an effective one.

Uh, my private IPv4/RFC1918 network is quite well protected and hidden
behind my NAT gateway. I agree NAT is not a security measure, but it
does a pretty good job nonetheless.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.5°C)